Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Journal pages, no. 1

Revisiting the John Muir Trail

It feels like I talk about this trip a lot, but it changed my life in innumerable ways. Conversations with strangers that lasted only a few minutes lifted my spirits and inspired me to realize how much I want to write about regular people. It was there that I really started to see stories everywhere. After we hiked that 220-mile trail through California's Sierra Nevada, I knew I wanted to go after this whole "highly physical" thing. Some people try things and hate them, but I'm not one of those people, and this was not something I hated and walked away from. I've never learned so much from a single experience, not even in 12 months of steering the Daily or four years of college. 

Friends have taken beautiful trips lately, and I've loved seeing their pictures and reactions. The more people who will do all this, the better. It's one of our goals in writing about our adventures. I cannot claim to have inspired anyone, but at least I can relate. The JMT has been on my mind for this reason. Coincidentally, I was using an old journal the other day, and I came across the pages I used to document our 14 days in the wilderness. They're short and to the point. I wrote them each night, after re-reading Scripture about perseverance and weakness. That's key, because it kept my entries - my memories from the day - positive. So when I look back, I can't complain.

I have a habit of processing too quickly. I lose information, overlook what I mean to hold on to, and forget great pictures in an effort to include variety. Because we have nothing else to blog about right now; my camera has been stolen and no new pictures will be coming any time soon except by my phone;  my need to write has increased recently; and there are plenty of images I haven't seen in the 17 months since we got off the trail, I'm going to continue to dwell on this. Additionally, we have started planning our next big hike, which will be another thru-hike after Ben finishes his Masters. This trip created the foundation for bigger dreams.

Editorial note: I didn't cut out anything because I think anyone (women especially because I found few honest female accounts) who wants to try mega backcountry hiking should see at least one realistic picture. When I was prepping for this hike, every search yielded gear and trail info, but no personal info. So I've included the starvation (which happens to most people), the start of my period on trail, and the desperate prayers I prayed while figuring all this out as I went. We already had decided our time frame, wanting to hike high-mileage days. Obviously, that's not for everyone. We also didn't bring any other means of entertainment, so we hiked from sun up to sun down. You cover a lot of miles when you do that. If you really have to ask why anyone would subject him/herself to this - I mean ask in that "this is irrational and you're an idiot" voice - than you'll never get it and you shouldn't hike like this. Onward.

July 9, 2012, Day 1 - 8 miles

Unexpectedly got a permit - left a day early from Glacier Point. Only hiked 8 miles. Ben mapped out between 13 and 16 each day, so I gotta find that inner strength pretty soon. 
"My grace is sufficient for you for my power is made perfect in your weakness." 
I am very weak. From here on, I know none of this is me.

2 comments:

  1. "I am very weak. From here on, I know none of this is me."

    So simply stated. So profound. I very much look forward to reading your journal entries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily! They're a fun way to reflect on that trip.

      Delete