Friday, July 06, 2012

Spearfish Canyon




Oftentimes I have found myself daydreaming about what it would be like to have no other obligations than to go outside and explore. The past 2 weeks, Taryn and I got the chance to do just that. We have been hiking and climbing in the great Spearfish Canyon in the Black Hills of South Dakota. I have been visiting the Black Hills since I was a boy so for me this adventure made me feel right at home.




Spearfish is one of those places that a lot of people visit but few actually get out of their cars and explore. After buying a climbing guidebook, we talked to several locals about their favorite spots. I like doing that. There is something special about “word of mouth” spots that make them seem more beautiful. The canyon is full of these spots and I’m sure it would take many years to become familiar with all of them. But, we picked the few that sounded the best and were handily rewarded.




The climbing in Spearfish was hard. Most of the rock is limestone so it has a tendency to feel slippery after just a few holds. Many of the climbs had decent handholds but the ratings seemed a bit steep. We are comfortable climbing moderate routes but even these seemed difficult in the canyon. This was a far cry from the sticky granite rocks that we climbed in Colorado. Nevertheless, we thoroughly enjoyed being on the rock and plan to visit in the near future.







I had an interesting conversation with my brother about our trip and all the amazing places that we have been seeing. He reminded me how blessed Taryn and I really are to be experiencing the beauty of the U.S. the way that we are. I highly recommend everyone visiting the places we have been. 





Our next adventure will take us several hundred miles into the California wilderness. I have wanted to hike the John Muir Trail for some time and now I have the chance. I have no doubt that in a few weeks I will have some great pictures and memories to share.

Go outside and find something beautiful today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment