Monday, October 20, 2014

Courage in work

                   

The drive east in Kentucky grabs your attention differently than mountains. From back highways, farmsteads sit nestled in valleys surrounded by hills covered in fall colors. I passed through counties I'd only heard mentioned, watching the last bit of sunset light up the tallest branches.

This week I'm in Berea, Ky. with Mountain Workshops, a weeklong course that takes photojournalism students to a new city or county each year, gives them a story, and publishes a photo essay of their work. I'm here as a writing coach and I will work with a group of photographers as they put together a story package that includes a short written story. Because I'm blogging from here this week, I thought I would take some time to write about courageous work.

Before I hiked any trails or climbed any mountains, I moved to Minneapolis to study journalism. I chose it because writing was my only identifiable skill and after taking a creative writing class in high school, I knew that wasn't the route for me. When I joined the Minnesota Daily staff my second semester at school, I was the youngest in the newsroom. I was asked to repeat my age every time we got together outside the office and I ordered a coke.

I'm usually a shy person. I can write, but approaching a source and asking for access to his or her story is ... terrifying. I learned after a few weeks that first semester at the Daily that it's the kind of fear that wakes me up. I learned from people who seemed fearless. I nudged into conversations about stories and sources and ethics and craft and it lit up this opposite-self that wants to do more than sit back and observe the commotion. 

When mountains came along, I recognized that feeling - the anxiety that do it even though it could be terrible. I can't imagine making the safe choice. I can't imagine what that kind of walking death feels like.

No comments:

Post a Comment